British-ese: Translation

Now and then we throw our American friends for a loop with our British-speak, so we thought it appropriate to translate a few of our favourite terms for our stateside readers just for fun. And yes, the Brits do favor the letter U; it shows up in favourite, colour and, of course, mum.

With a chill in the air and new autumn wears on the mind, we find it fitting to start with a few definitions in fashion. Shall we start with trousers… our knickers certainly wont be in a knot if you call them pants, but we prefer the term trousers. And this season you can't go wrong with slim leg, wide leg or short length.

As temperatures fall you’ll want to cover up with a jumper or over-the-head sweater. To you it's a sleeveless dress worn over a blouse, but our jumpers will keep you comfy cosy (remember chunky knits are on trend). And should you choose to muck about in the rain, you’ll require a pair of Wellingtons. That’s rain boots to you, but our beloved Wellies are stylishly popular and necessary for us all.

Now with you fully prepared to shop armed in proper English fashion, please carry on. And not to worry, there won’t be a test.

2 comments (Add your own)

1. kelsey wrote:
Those boots are so great! I need to buy a pair of those and the sweater dress. And they seem like they would fit over us large calved women who are boot challenged.

Wed, September 28, 2011 @ 11:18 AM

2. Grace wrote:
These books are soooo pretty

Fri, October 14, 2011 @ 10:51 AM

Add a New Comment

Enter the code you see below:

Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.